Homwork is a weekly creative challenge by letterist/illustrator Lauren Hom to practice lettering and connect with other creatives, letterers, and illustrators through Instagram. I’ll be adding my projects here as I go. You can also find them here. If you’re interested, you can join anytime and will receive a weekly email from Lauren with the next week’s prompt. Sign-up here. Happy lettering! xo, Em
Prompt: Write your name & favorite things
Materials: wood block, white chalk pen, black permanent marker in 3 different sizes
- Wood grain bumps.
- Smearing ink when erasing.
- Committing to a layout.
- Writing with chalk pen.
- New way to write cursive W.
- Writing in a circle on horizontal wood grain & still looks like a circle.
Prompt: Recreate an old lettering project to see how far you’ve come in your craft
Materials: watercolor paints, colored pencil, black Papermate pen, watercolor paper
- Mix of materials: smearing pen linework during watercolor touch ups (watercolor first, wait until dry, then use pen), colored pencil BEFORE watercolor.
- Watercolor: More water for lighter hues, less water for darker hues.
- Paper: Surprisingly difficult to tear to size. Pick the size of your sheet first, then paint. Not the other way around. 🙂
- How watercolor was used to show texture and curves in her face.
- Putting type within the glasses to fill the circular frame.
- Addition of thoughtfully placed circles (cheek rouge, earring, side knot).